Friday, July 12, 2013

June 24th, 2013

Just a quick note to say, I'm sorry if I missed any potential visitors to my tent this past Faery Fest - it's my favourite festival and unfortunately, I was not able to take part as usual. But that's not what this blog post is really about...

While setting up for the festival I received the news that my Grandma was quite ill - more ill than anyone in my family expected - 3 days later, she was gone.
My grandma was a tough cookie; the last story I remember her telling me was about when she was younger, pregnant with twins, yet still had to get out and milk the 20 or so cows that they had on the farm. I think she passed on her strength and resilience to the women in our family, including me - but I still can't even imagine that task!
The following morning after she died, I was at a loss for words and actions in response to her passing but then found myself wandering in the local public garden. Then I found myself sitting among the many roses in bloom there...my grandma loved roses. So here are some roses from that morning, Grandma, still fresh with dew drops:







Yes, Grandma loved roses. And she loved her pets too, below are Minnie and Rosalee:







My grandma was there for her children, several grandchildren and great-children! Also, in years past, she cared for many foster children - so many lives she would have touched.

So many stories that won't ever be told by her again.

For me the following lyrics are a reminder that the best things bequeathed are of an intangible nature


Baby Mine

I have no rings of gold
fortress strong, wealth untold
sweet baby mine

I'll give you memories
hands to hold, time to be
sweet baby mine

Will you remember innocence
will you remember love
moonlight and lullabies
angel wings, Daddy's eyes
sweet baby mine

I have no rings of gold
fortress strong, wealth untold
sweet baby mine

I'll give you memories
hands to hold, time to be
sweet baby mine

Will you remember innocence
will you remember love
comfort, a warm embrace
tears of joy, Mama's face
sweet baby mine

I'll give you memories
hands to hold, time to be
sweet baby mine

I'll give you memories
hands to hold, time to be
sweet baby mine

~Lynda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment