Saturday, July 11, 2015

Sweet spring, bittersweet summer.



Night fountain.

For the most part, I've been trying to focus on the really simple things. Those truly, simple, sweet moments that I'm usually too scatterbrained and hurried to barely give a glance to. I wish I could say that I'm always succeeding at this...somehow I still get caught up in the 'getting there' mindset instead of enjoying the journey. I really must try harder. These first few pics are from the last few days of spring; I didn't realize until after I choose them that they all have a water theme...another recurring theme as of late.

A solitary white duck lazing about in the shade next to a pond.

Mushrooms that popped up on a mulch pile the day after a rainstorm.

Dew drops at the local city garden.

Seaweed, the Sea Serpent
The summer has had a bittersweet start to it. In discovering that this year's Enchanted Ground, Guelph's annual Faery Fest, would be the last one, I decided to try my hand at something other than vending (which I normally do at this event). I went from making dragons at under 12 inches to making one measuring nearly 12 feet long! This was definitely a challenging task (in a good way) and a revealing experience for me. I discovered that I really enjoyed working large :) I don't have the space to do this all the time and I really am not sure if someone would be willing to pay the shipping charges for such a dragon but I would definitely do it again! Making a parade dragon, or in this case a sea serpent, that's meant to be a little more interactive was really fun.


Seaweed with a denizen of Enchanted Ground

One of the attendees of Faery Fest, who had the most amazing costume I must say, posed with Seaweed!


If you didn't get a chance to see my sea serpent at the festival, Seaweed will as be on display, along with other work of mine at an upcoming gallery show in Toronto! At the end of the month, I will be taking part in a group show, with 4 other artists who are part of WANT (Women's Art Network of Toronto). Here are the details:


                        Women's Art Network of Toronto

presents

"Object-ivity"


OPENING AND PANEL DISCUSSION- FRIDAY JULY 31st 7-9pm


83 Walnut Ave Toronto
SHOW: July 29th- August 12th

What happens when artists create works that expand beyond one dimension? Do multiple dimensions affect the way art is viewed, the space it occupies within a traditional gallery and how observers interact with the pieces?

The works of:
Halyna
Paper Sculptress
Lera
Dani Miniskin
Jennifer Mccleod

Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Tammi, that's great news! And your huge dragon is amazing, and though giant in comparison to your other work she's so obviously yours!

    ReplyDelete